[ENH] NewLook (aka Diego's Look)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 25 00:18:29 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity - are you certain it's the fonts that hurt you most?
Not at all, aside from the trivial anecdotal of having noticed a big new
set of delays after loading the font stuff on its own.

I did run the little benchmark for creating the font glyphs and it was
something like 20 times as long as for whoever posted them ; probably on
a moderately up to date PC.

> Diego's look enhancements contain a significant amount of gradients and
> those can be pretty expensive too.
True, although earlier versions I tried seemed not to hit menu-opening
performance noticably.

> Another thing to try for you - see if
> building a VM which does not dither improves matters significantly.
Sure; where do I look to do that? Somewhere in BitBltSimulation I
presume but if you care to point me precisely I'll try it. Setting my
Display to 32bpp seems to make a tiny improvement.

tim
Useful random insult:- Enjoys listening to telemarketers.