Update still broken?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jun 25 23:12:19 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I have avoided updating hoping things would be fixed before I
> needed/wanted to update.
>
> I decided to try out the Jabber client.
> I needed to update first.
>
> From a 5248 image I can't get past 5256 due to a MNU:
> initializeNetworkIfFail: in the NetNameResolver class.

This update still brings up an exception for some people, depending on
how fast your updates are coming in.  However, the problem is actually
harmless, and you can just close the notifier and ask to load the rest
of the updates, and you'll get them all.

For more details, see:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-June/060209.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-June/060282.html

I suppose people are going to keep running into this, though, and
legitimately asking questions on the list about it.  There are a few
things I could do about it:

1. Do nothing.  The number of people updating through this changeset
will gradually decrease.  Or,
2. Replace the 9 network rewrite changesets with 1 combined changeset
and 8 dummy changesets as Joshua suggested.  This would fix the
problem.  (Assuming there are no order dependencies in the changesets,
which I think is the case.)  However, this has the slightly unsettling
effect that some 3.6alpha users will have different changeset contents
than others.  Although the resulting source code in the image should be
the same, so it's not really a big deal.  Or,
3. Put a warning at the beginning of the first network-rewrite update,
warning that on some machines, an exception may occur, which can be
safely closed and one can continue loading more updates.  I sort of like
this option, it's simple, but would hopefully stop the confusion.

- Doug Way