Monticello - reorganizing class categories

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jun 26 00:56:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> > Monticello to SM very often because having a constantly changing source
> > code output format wreaks havoc on a CVS repository (Julian and Ned will
> > back me up on this ;).
>
> I completely believe you, but I have no inkling of what this has to do
> with making SM releases.

I made that comment because Julian and Ned have been struggling recently
with modifying the way DVS and Monticello treat line endings in the files
they output, at the same time as using DVS and Monticello for other
packages.  The problem is that if Person A working on a package updates
to the new version of Monticello that changes the file format, Person B
working on that package also has to update (or the diffs on each
commit will be huge).  That leads to any other packages that Person B is
working on being file out in the new format (since they now have the new
Monticello in their image), which means that anyone working on *those*
packages...

Effectively this means that any release that changes the output format is
a forced upgrade.  I'd like to keep those forced upgrades to a minimum.

> Incidentally, I would like to see SM Monticello be more up to date and
> get more exposure/usage...

I intend to post a new snapshot to SM in the next couple of days, once
these line ending issues are resolved.  At that point I would like to
really start pushing everyone currently using DVS to start using
Monticello instead...