SqueakMap down! Re: map.squeak.org...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jun 26 07:53:03 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03:04 pm, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Brian Brown <rbb at techgame.net> wrote:
> > > Howdy folks,
> > >
> > >   I finally today started playing with the 3.6 alpha image...
> > > when trying to load SM from the menu, it couldn't resolve
> > > map.squeak.org. That name isn't showing up on DNS, and even if I
> > > went to NS1.GISOL.COM (the DNS servers for the squeak.org
> > > domain), it isn't there.
> > >
> > > Is it just a DNS server screw-up (like the wrong file being
> > > served out for squeak.org)? Or a wrong entry in the image?
> >
> > It is a "ahead of its time" entry. :-) It should simply fail on it
> > and continue looking. map1.squeakfoundation.org is the current
> > master.
>
> But of course it's not doing that. Instead the name resolver is
> raising an error. You can proceed, though.

Ah, right. Just tested it. This is in fact due to the network rewrite -
the SM code isn't prepared for an Error. :-)

> However, I'm not able to find *any* of the SqueakMap servers.

True, this is the *real* problem. It first tries
map1.squeakfoundation.org and FAILS. Then it goes on and tries the
others. I have emailed Cees about it - the machine is simply down.

regards, Göran