map.squeak.org...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jun 26 07:59:09 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Brian Brown <rbb at techgame.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2003 04:04 pm, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Brian Brown <rbb at techgame.net> wrote:
> > > Howdy folks,
> > >
> > >   I finally today started playing with the 3.6 alpha image... when trying
> > > to load SM from the menu, it couldn't resolve map.squeak.org. That name
> > > isn't showing up on DNS, and even if I went to NS1.GISOL.COM (the DNS
> > > servers for the squeak.org domain), it isn't there.
> > >
> > > Is it just a DNS server screw-up (like the wrong file being served out
> > > for squeak.org)? Or a wrong entry in the image?
> >
> > It is a "ahead of its time" entry. :-) It should simply fail on it and
> > continue looking. map1.squeakfoundation.org is the current master.
>
> Hehe... gotcha. Well, In my 3.6 image, it's not falling back; it says it can't
> connect to map1 or map2... map1 is on the theinternetone.net network, which
> is having network problems right now:
> <snip>
> 21  lnx-7-fe1.ams-2.theinternetone.net (62.4.94.8)  265.596 ms   263.448 ms
> 264.104 ms
> 22  172.16.2.9  265.351 ms   264.038 ms   263.909 ms
> 23  * * *
> 24  * * *
> 25  * * *
> 26  * * *
> 27  * * *
> 28  172.16.2.9(H!)  3011.105 ms (H!)  3000.854 ms (H!)  2982.786 ms

Yeah, I have emailed Cees about it. And there is also a bug now with the
network rewrite - see my other post.

> However, good ol' marvin.bluefish.se is up and accessible, but SM doesn't seem
> to try it. Gotta love migrations, eh Goran?

Eh, no. :-)

marvin.bluefish.se is my workstation and it is sitting here beside me as
a dead duck. We changed its fan and then it started hanging on me -
don't know really why - perhaps it get's too hot. And there is no SM
running there now anyway.

In fact, I haven't built mirroring yet (even though it is pretty easy to
do) so a proper "fall back" will not happen today in case map1 starts
flunking. The idea with the server list is more to be able to move the
map in case of a problem without having the clients failing.

regards, Göran

PS. SM on map1 should autostart properly when the machine comes up
again. If the machine is actually down (and not just the wires).