[ANN] Bricks v2 now on the swiki

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jun 28 00:22:38 UTC 2003

Hi Todd,

I was playing around with it and it looks pretty cool. What I'm particularly
interested in is your "springs and struts" model - I agree that Morphic's
layout management is too complicated so I've been really interested in
seeing what you're doing here. Is there any concise description about the
model you're using? (you have been mentioning something called "IB" on the
Mac which I have no idea what it means)

I've been trying to play with your layout model a bit and it seems to model
something pretty similar to what we have in proportional layouts (though the
UI is much nicer). But the thing I couldn't really get to work is when I
tried to put two bricks into the layout container and have them behave (what
I thought to be) correctly. Is there any dependency between objects within
the same brick? I have had some effects which almost looked like the layout
control switches randomly between what brick it's controlling (it's hard to
explain but I've got really weird effects).

Also, is this layout model capable of modelling constraints between bricks
at the same level? (something like lists where - for example - the right
edge of one brick should align with the left edge of some other).

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cheers,
  - Andreas