[ANN] Bricks v2 now on the swiki

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Sat Jun 28 03:28:15 UTC 2003

Hi Andreas,

Presently all layout is from morph to owner - siblings are not
considered.
That's not to say that they couldn't be, but I just cloned the behavior
of IB
(which is the NextStep InterfaceBuilder - now available on MacOS X).
There is practically nothing that can't be done with this model.

I'd be interested in what you consider to be weird behavior.
Its possible to set the constraints programmatically with a string ie

brick leftToRightLayout: 's-s'. puts springs on either side  of the
brick and says it should be internally rigid.

The model is pretty basic and its probably the same as proportional
layout with a simpler visualization.

Some examples:

--s is the default - leave the thing the same size and keep it the same
distance from the left edge - IOW no layout really
s-- - similar but adhere to right edge
-s- - keep both edges the same distance from the edges of the owner -
IOW spacefill - this would be good for text areas that grow/shrink with
the window.
s-s - keep the brick the same size and keep it centered at the same
proportional ratio from the left and right edges - good for titles in
title bars as the brick will stay centered horizontally regardless of
size if it was centered in the first place.
sss  - keep the edges at the same proportional distance from the edges.
--- - I don't currently enforce this but it should prevent resizing of
the owner - I think It defaults to the same as --s.

If you're getting weird results, maybe you could save  the oddities in
a .morph file and send it to me along with what you expect to happen.

The only other interesting layout behavior is embodied in ToolbarBrick
- it has the idea of cells that are the same size and can layout either
horizonatally or vertically - but the only layout behavior it has on
its own is the positioning on initial adding of bricks.  Then it sets
the strut spring contraints and that just does what it does.

HTH,
Todd Blanchard