[KCP] about VM

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Jun 28 15:44:10 UTC 2003

Hi

I'm extracting the class VM from SystemDictionary. It is attached for
review and feedback.
Now I wanted to know if this method

exitToDebugger
	"Primitive. Enter the machine language debugger, if one exists.
Essential.
	See Object documentation whatIsAPrimitive."

	<primitive: 114>
	self primitiveFailed

would be a good candidate to be moved in VM too. I could not find a
sender of this method. It is for VM
programmer to be called while C debugging?

VM has right now the following methods:

  a Set(#endianness #isLittleEndian #listBuiltinModules
#specialObjectsArray #setPlatformPreferences #stopProfiling
#getSystemAttribute: #quitPrimitive #externalObjects
#vmParameterAt:put: #unregisterExternalObject:
#unbindExternalPrimitives #specialSelectors #listLoadedModules
#compactClassesArray #profile: #dumpProfile #version #platformName
#platformSubtype #isBigEndian #recreateSpecialObjectsArray
#startProfiling #osVersion #registerExternalObject: #vmParameterAt:
#specialNargsAt: #getVMParameters #clearExternalObjects
#specialSelectorAt: #unloadModule: #clearProfile #specialSelectorSize
#listLoadedModule: #listBuiltinModule: #extraVMMemory
#hasSpecialSelector:ifTrueSetByte: #extraVMMemory:)

We planned to have finally a class responsible for image management
(GC, sources files, ...all the rest)