Reason for lack of Oracle driver

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jun 29 01:24:09 UTC 2003

I think if you look at the OCI interface (non-blocking) It should be
easy to do.
Take a look at the extended serial support plugin I posted to the list
last month for an idea
of how to do a minimal interface so that you can do most of the work in
Smalltalk.

Now if you've $funding$ for an OCI interface then please email me the
details. I've always thought
no-one has done such an interface because no-one has paid to have it
done and also made it
available to the squeak community.

I understand there are some other SQL interfaces out there especially
those that use tcp/ip to
communicate with the database, those of course don't require plugin
black-magic which isn't
as hard as one thinks.

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 03:00  PM, Martin Drautzburg wrote:

> Is there a reason why there is no oracle support in squeak (such as
> licensing issues) or is it simply that nobody has done it yet ?
>
> What would I have to do to write a driver ? Would I use FFI and hook
> up to linclntsh.so (or oci.dll) ? A lot of what is needed could
> probably be stolen from perl or Smalltalk/X oracle drivers isn't it ?

===