Reason for lack of Oracle driver

Andrew Catton andrew at beta4.com
Sat Jun 28 23:41:57 UTC 2003

Martin Drautzburg wrote:

>Is there a reason why there is no oracle support in squeak (such as
>licensing issues) or is it simply that nobody has done it yet ?
>
>What would I have to do to write a driver ? Would I use FFI and hook
>up to linclntsh.so (or oci.dll) ? A lot of what is needed could
>probably be stolen from perl or Smalltalk/X oracle drivers isn't it ?

Another option (admittedly not the most robust or efficient) is to use
the oracle JDBC thin client along with a JDBC bridge to squeak such as
the one Avi has in the seaside sourceforge repository.  Julian and I
have used this to achieve quick-and-dirty access to oracle via squeak,
but we haven't done any further work in this direction as our need to
connect to oracle went away.