Reason for lack of Oracle driver

Martin Drautzburg martin.drautzburg at web.de
Sun Jun 29 08:09:06 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> writes:

> > What would I have to do to write a driver ? Would I use FFI and hook
> > up to linclntsh.so (or oci.dll) ?
> You might find it worth starting that way but I think in practice you'd
> be better off writing a plugin. See InterpreterPlugin and friends from
> the VMMAker package. For something like this I'd tend to write Slang for
> the veneer that goes from VM to driver rather than trying to get clever
> in Slang code.

I must admit I know very little about these things.

A plugin is a shared library that is accessible from squeak, right ?
So are you suggesting to put an extra shlib layer between squeak and
the oracle shared lib. Why shoulnd't I talk directly to the oracle lib
?

How about portablility. Assuming the oracle libs have the same
interface on Linux and Windows, they still have different names. Can
the <angle bracket ffi code> contain a Module whose name is a variable
?