[KCP] SystemChangeNotification: supported events

Roel Wuyts wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jun 29 12:46:38 UTC 2003

No problem, we are in sync (this is what I meant with my reply - it
depends on whether anybody needs to know about this. Because if you do,
and it is not there, then things get ugly :-(  ).

And no problems of it stopping me: I am happily implementing some first
things :-) I'll send a first code blurb as soon as possible (just to
give some ideas).

Bring it  on :-) :-)

On Sunday, Jun 29, 2003, at 14:55 Europe/Zurich, Daniel Vainsencher
wrote:

> Roel Wuyts <wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>> On Saturday, Jun 28, 2003, at 22:35 Europe/Zurich, Daniel Vainsencher
>> wrote:
>>> - What does a method/class recategorization trigger?
>>
>> Good question, since it is essentially a 'move'. So I guess it should
>> do a removal/addition pair. Or maybe a separate event. It depends on
>> whether anyone needs to know specifically about recategorization.
>
> Just some things to think about -
> If you consider methods to be merely behavior of a class, then method
> recategorization shouldn't bring up any events at all, because behavior
> hasn't changed. This is correct, because it is a view that might be
> useful for some applications (concerned with behavior) but it isn't
> complete, because other applications are interested in structure
> (MudPie), which does change. So maybe having events for both
> complementary perspectives is the only way to serve all those needs.
>
> While most applications could be written successful to deal with
> recategorization encoded as remove/add, consider that this loses
> information, and then applications might need to start interpreting the
> event stream to know what really happened (was that really removed, and
> I need to run that classes tests again, or was it merely moved?). So it
> might be better to consider a richer abstraction of possible events.
>
> Note that I don't want these meandering thoughts to stop you from
> starting to implement something coherent and simple, I just thought I'd
> complicate things a little before triage begins...
>
> Daniel

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/