[KCP] SystemChangeNotification: supported events

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jun 30 00:16:28 UTC 2003

On Sunday 29 June 2003 04:54 pm, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Do you mean by modifications to the event system in the directions
> Andreas has been describing that Tweak takes (asynch events), or do
> you mean by something at the client side?
>
> Daniel
>
> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 June 2003 08:34 am, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> > > Hmm, I wasn't thinking about performance at all - I don't think
> > > the notifications will be noticable. The problem might be with
> > > clients misbehaving, but you can't do anything about that.
> >
> > We can help by making sure that notifications to clients aren't
> > handled synchronously.

I mean that event delivery to subscribers should not happen at the
same time as the events being triggered.

I imagine some kind of (probably pluggable) object or group of objects
that are (trusted, bulletproof) intermediaries and that collect the
event notifications and later (when it's safe) deliver them to
subscribers.

So that, for instance, it would be possible to completely ignore all
the events by default, or that delivered the notifications
synchronously as part of a Morphic step method.

I just ran into a problem today while trying to make the
ClosureEnhancements into a SAR: the notification from the file-in
progress interfered with Anthony's changes to the exceptions. This
problem could have been avoided by having some way to set a temporary
notification handler that just discarded the events.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com