[KCP] about VM

Daniel Altman daniel at qkss.com
Mon Jun 30 13:58:51 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:001101c33f0d$3a984bd0$a5978640 at atlantis...
> > What coherent abstractions do you want to create on
> something like VM,
> > which obviously has not even one real instance and therefore no real
> > class ( in an OO sense )?
>
> No VM instances you say? And what is that program called
> Squeak.exe you have running on your computer?

That's exactly the impression you'd give people if you have a class named VM
and the methods be instance methods. E.g., what I would expect here is
something where I can say "VM new" and this would start Squeak and I could
query the newly created VM about whatever class VM provides. For example:

VM new imageName.

Should then answer the name of the image that this other Squeak (which we
created with VM new) is using. If that's in fact the case, then I'd totally
agree on all of your arguments. But if it isn't then I find it totally
confusing and overcomplicated.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

-------------------
Andreas, I aswered looking at Martin's sentence:

"What coherent abstractions do you want to create on something like VM,
which obviously has not even one real instance and therefore no real
class ( in an OO sense )? "

I tried to point to that (as you say) we don't currently have the VM
reified, but this doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

As you say, it would be very nice to have something like:
VM newImage: anImageName --> To start bootstrapping image called anImageName
VM current --> To build a VM object based on the currently running VM

Best regards!
Dany