Should SUnit be part of Basic? (was Re: Against package removal before packages work correctly)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Jun 30 18:23:55 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>[SNIP]
>

>>>Is SUnit an essential development tool?  I would say yes... we are
>>>trying to encourage folks to include tests with fixes, and requiring
>>>test packages for Squeak-official packages.
>>>

>>If BASIC means tools essential for development then SUnit should be in.
>>(but we should be able to remove it easily because new versions of
>>Sunit are coming :).
>>

>Since it is still a package that is per definition. The only things we
>are still adding as updates are fixes to stuff not yet in packages and
>enhancements to stuff not yet in packages. We would never think of
>adding a "packages" as an update.
>
>Anyway, I agree with Doug.

Probably what we should do is make it like the SqueakMap/SAR/etc
updates.  The current version of SUnit would be included as an update,
but it would also be registered as a loaded SM package.  (So that it
would show up in your list of installed packages in the SMLoader, and
you could upgrade to newer versions via SM, etc.)

- Doug Way