Jabber question/remote pair programming...

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Mon Jun 30 21:41:01 UTC 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 02:26 pm, Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Brent Vukmer wrote:
> > I really wish we had a tool like Hydra
> > (http://hydra.globalse.org/features.html) in Squeak; it seems like we
> > could build the same features but use Jabber for notification/transport.
>
> Yes, I think the proposed JabberingBrowser and Hydra are in a similar
> space - I don't necessarily need to see everyone's text selection like in
> Hydra, but I'd like to be able to open a browser that tracks which
> class/method someone else is looking at, and updates my code every time
> they accept.

I think part of the issue is that most of the code we look at on a daily basis
is in very discrete chunks (as it should be :-), so some of Hydra's features
wouldn't be too useful for Squeak. Editing a LaTeX document or something
would make more use of some of those features.

I think doing send when someone does an accept is important for efficiency
sake, as hydra does sends on each character.

> Somehow it seems like this could be the basis for a versioning system, but
> I'm fuzzy on exactly how it would work...

hehe, this  is little knotty. I can see two scenarios off the top of my head..
1) You have a publish/subscribe list of those that you want to share code with
and would get/send updates with them. The way a lot of people use images
makes this one problematic... new images (or different) for different
projects; however, you could have different publish/subscribe lists for each
one of these images, so as you are working on a particular project, the
people that care are updated.

2) There would be a central repository that a group worked from, so if you
were on the list for a particular class (or hierarchy, or category), changes
would be sent to your jid.

Also, I would want to notified if someone else started working on the same
piece of code I was when I tried to do an accept and have merge window or
something come up....

lot's of issues, eh?

Brian