release prioritization

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Mar 1 00:20:37 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> From my memory, it seems that the most recent goal of a 3.4 release was
> to finalize Squeak as a release which primarily occurred under the
> stewardship of Squeak Central.
>
> Squeak 3.5x and forward were to be the releases under the Guide system.
> It can be somewhat confusing since it appears that a "Guide" is
> releasing 3.4. However, the purpose did not change.

Yes, it did sort of work out that way.  Scott Wallace from SqC actually
handled the bulk of the update-stream additions during 3.4, and he and I
worked together on transitioning the update stream duties over to me.  We
worked through some glitches in the process, but once I had it all working, it
seemed to make more sense for me to handle the final steps of the 3.4 release.

> While Squeak is not currently under any commercial or business type time
> pressure, there are people who do base certain events on releases. For
> example Stephane Ducasse sometimes releases materials (writings) which
> are based on a certain Squeak release. Some people burn cds for
> education and other distributions. So having a certain release which is
> frozen does advantage these people. Sometimes do to their release
> schedules some time pressure can be asserted.

Good points here.

- Doug Way