Storage

Chad Nantais chad at whistler.com
Sat Mar 1 20:42:22 UTC 2003

Hi Alan,

I had developed a system for car dealership service departments that
allowed for profiling of customers based on their repair activity,
satisfaction level, etc.  The system was developed using Zope + MySQL.
I want to create a sister application that is used by sales departments
for lead management, customer profiling, etc.  This new system _should_
allow for migration of data from the service tables.  It will have to
allow for the ability to manage new types of customers in different
states.  It also has to deal with the fact that a vehicle is both a
deliverable (you can sell it) and a repairable (you can fix it).

I have the luxury of time and very few implementation constraints so I
would like to experiment with using Squeak to build this system which
will have to manage thousands of vehicles, customers, leads, service
invoices, and follow-up calls and the many relationships between them.
The keyword here is "profiling".  That's where catalogs and queries
come in.  I tried to do this with Zope, but I found unit testing
awkward, if not impossible.  I also tried to develop a solution using
the ZODB without Zope, but felt like I was just reinventing the wheel.
So, I'm going to see if Squeak is a better fit for this problem.

Chad