Islands for Squeak3.4 and beyond

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 2 06:21:02 UTC 2003

torge.husfeldt at gmx.de wrote:
> I've been trying for the last few days to filein your islands.
> The last thing i tried was a 2.9-2431 image with a Squeak3.0B2 VM
> and still no luck:
> With some tweaking i get to the point where th cs  symbol is filed in.
> When finally String>>stringhash is removed everything goes down the
> drain...
> i.e. MethodDictionaries fail to be properly hashed and you now what
> that means...

Hmm.  There should be no changes in the hashes; stringhash is obsolete
now that Symbol>>hasd and String>>hash are the same.  Also,
MethodDictionary's should be using identityHash.  (Perhaps they are not
?!)  Apparently the changeset is goofed somehow, but I don't know
how.....

You should know, by the way, that some hope has surfaced after all that
my old pre-loaded islands image may be recovered.  So maybe leave this
lying for a few days.  Nevertheless, a summary of what you had to do
would be nice.  :)  I would think the priorities for islands are:

	1. factor out the VM changes

	2. update it for Squeak 3.4

For the update, the same work you have gone through is likely to be
necessary again.

-Lex