[Squeakfoundation]re: release prioritization

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 3 15:16:13 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
[SNIP]
> Btw, Jitterbug is a simple webbased system that could possibly work but
> even though it does sound like he NIH-syndrome I actually think we could
> do better by building something integrated in Squeak - like SM. SM just
> didn't lift off until it was accessible from inside Squeak.

What I mean with this is that I think (now 2 years later) an external
webbased bug tracking system - no matter how simple (Jittebug is very
simple for example) - would not turn out good. I think it would be
better if we "cooked our own". Btw, Julian Fitzell probably has good
ideas in this area too - I believe he told me that he had worked on one
of the OSS tools in this area. (Personally I have installed/hacked and
made Jitterbug work in a 12 developer company - but the needs where
probably different from Squeak.)

Yes, it sounds really NIH-ish and not STTCPW either, but I think the
importance of integration in the tools/image plus integration with SM
and/or the new Harvesting tool is of extreme importance.

And in fact - the bug tracking system may very well *be* the new
Harvesting tool, what do I know.

I just know that we need support for bug tracking and harvesting and
both mechanisms should IMHO be package aware and integrated in the
Squeak environment.

regards, Göran