Remote Debugging Proposal

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Mar 4 18:09:51 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 09:46 am, Jon Hylands wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As a piece of my AUV software, I'd like to write a remote
> development/debugging feature that I will use to work on Squeak
> running on a PDA from a workstation, over a socket connection.
>
> I'd like to set this up as a SM project, and hopefully do the whole
> documentation/testing thing along with it.
>
> I've set up a Swiki page to deal with this at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech. edu/squeak/3079
>
> I'm basically looking for input from people on what they'd like to
> see. Please update the Swiki, or reply here and I'll try and
> summarize things there at an appropriate time.

Hi Jon:

Some things I'd like:

* expression evaluation
* step/send/through/return
* access to all stack frames
* access to all instvars, local vars, etc.
* works over serial port as well
* breakpoints (i.e. name class and selector, get a breakpoint set)
* multiple Process debugging (switch between Processes at will)
* interrupt given Process for debugging
* suspend given Process
* terminate given Process
* resume given Process