[Q] CMS/Swiki development

Chris Burkert christian.burkert at s2000.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Mar 4 18:21:34 UTC 2003

Hi Jim

Jim Benson wrote:
> Chris,
>
> This is a pretty complex question, I think the really defining part is how
> much time you're willing to spend on the project is the deciding factor.

The time I worked on my own Homepage system was quite OK. So I hope it
will better with Squeak :-)

>>From a common sense viewpoint, and a little bit of experience, I can tell
> you that if you aren't going to be using the Swiki functionality directly it
> doesn't make much sense to use Swiki as your code base. I can also tell you
> that placing Squeak code directly in your pages is a pretty brave move;
> you've exposed the entire server to the clients.  One rogue infinite loop
> submitted by a client will make your server slightly less responsive.

mmhhh ... your right! That's difficult. What about to allow calling
defined methods? For example <squeak> printSitemap </squeak>. If the
user is not root, or the Method doesn't exist, it is ignored

> Just a comment on your point: "pages sit in a tree (swiki has a graph
> structure)". That part might be challenging.

I've done this before. Shouldn't be too difficult :-)

> Jim
>
> BTW, I think you came would be happier with Zope than SWiki from what you're
> describing.

If Zope is really better than Squeak, then I will stay in PHP and let it be.

Regards
            Chris Burkert
Student of applied Computer Science at Chemnitz University of Technology
      http://www.chrisburkert.de/            chris at chrisburkert.de