Remote Debugging Proposal

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Mar 4 17:42:31 UTC 2003

>From my experience with GemStone, it's very important to get a clear
idea of where things are getting evaluated, since the code base (in that
case, even the libraries) can be quite different between your dev and
target images.

For example, what do your inspection panes do? execute #instVarAt:
remotely, and #printString locally? can be pretty confusing if they're
different. Or maybe #printString is done remotely? then if #printString
is broken on remote, you're screwed.

And then, of course, we're quite used to evaluating things interactively
in the debugger. Where do those get evaluated? locally might be quite
useless for most debugging purposes, but remotely, you don't get to use
potentially richer tools you have locally.

I'm not saying it should do everything - that's the temptation that
might lead to Chaos. I'm saying it should have a clear and simple
policy, so it's clear what it does do, and when.

Another interesting issue is, where are your changes logged? I don't
know if it's particularly useful to have them logged remotely, depending
on how many remotes one has. Having a local copy of all remote changes
would be nice. I don't know if this affects what you're doing much,
though...

Daniel