Remote Debugging Proposal

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Mar 5 00:53:15 UTC 2003

Too many time, I've woken up too late only to discover I'm a
stakeholder... :-)

So, I know it's not directly helpful now, but I'm sure you'll keep it
mind when the time comes.

About debugging stripped images - I don't think a back and forth "do you
support Object>>printString?" is the simplest way to go. I'd suggest two
strategies:
1. Define a minimal protocol that's needed. If you need to debug your
stripped applications, make sure you leave those in.
2. Install at run time a debugging extension that ensured to not
conflict with existing methods (call your methods #rdbgPrintString and
so forth). This might require that you create locally compiled methods
for a class that exists only remotely, but it leaves the complexity
bounded, and it really shrinks the protocol you treat as critical (see
1).

The nice part is both parts of this strategy can be executed very
lazily, as the remote targets shrink.

Just an idea...

Daniel