Working with mathmorphs?

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu Mar 6 17:52:37 UTC 2003

David Duke <D.Duke at bath.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm having difficulty trying to use MathMorphs (as described in Ch.10 of
>   Guzdial and Rose (the "Bluebook"?)); I've been trying under 3.4 final
I have difficulties too, but I never took the time to fix the problems. I
remember that a few years ago I had difficulties to download some
of these files from a server in Argentinia, and that I finally gave up.

> (b) the Vertex class in the graph package on the mathMorphs site uses a
> class called "QuickPrint" which doesn't seem to exist in the current
> image (and about which the only hint I can find on the Swiki is an aside
> about "DisplayScanner's #quickPrint: variants").
Squeak 2.7 was the last version with QuickPrint.  That class implemented
fast, single-line string display.
Squeak 2.8 is the first version with quick print protocol in class
DisplayScanner. (You found the right hint in the 3.4 image)
QuickPrint was a sublcass of CharacterScanner, which in
turn at that time was a subclass of BitBlt. Now CharacterScanner is
subclassed to Object and when you try to file in QuickPrint you will
be told that some instance variables (those inherited from BitBlt) are
undefined. So this will also not work. We have no other choice than
to move all this MathMorphs stuff to the new quickprint protocol
in DisplayScanner.

> Does anyone have these mathMorph classes installed and working, and if
> so, what combination of image, change sets, and/or packages should I be
> trying?

My version of the change set for Graph contains this header:
'From Squeak 2.2 of Sept 23, 1998 on 9 October 1998 at 7:36:33 pm'!
So why not to try it with Squeak 2.2 ?

The point is of course that we should bring MathMorphs to 3.4. The
differences between 2.2 and 3.4 are however very great, so a first
attempt with 2.2 is certainly more promising.

Greetings, Boris