ClassBuilder fix, SqueakMap, and releasing 3.4

Colin Putney cputney at whistler.com
Thu Mar 6 21:42:11 UTC 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 12:40  PM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:
>> Now, I love SqueakMap as much as the next guy. But let's not go
>> overboard here. SM is a catalog for packages that are not in the
>> image.
>
> Eh, well - if that is your definition then you are already "wrong" in
> one sense - there are currently packages in SM that still *are* in the
> image. You know - waiting to get removed from the image. ;-)

Ah, but those packages typically depend on another package that removes
what's in the current image. So it's just an artifact of SM current
lack of dependencies. ;-)

> Another example would be if Richard O'Keefe took upon himself to
> maintain/steward the Collection hierarchy (just theoretically).
> Obviously the Collections are hard to break out - some of them even
> impossible. So does that mean it could never be registered on SM? I
> mean
> - it is a well defined piece of Squeak, it has a description, a name, a
> maintainer/steward, it could have a version, a development status, etc.
> The only thing missing is a download URL.

Yeah, but all that stuff is peripheral. Downloading and installing
packages is what SM does, after all. What good is it without a download
url?

> And what about later when we start using the map for other tasks? For
> example, bugs that get reported needs to be forwarded to the correct
> maintainer - but how do I then report a bug in the Collection classes?
> can come up with tons of these use cases. For example, to be able to
> send out a message to all core maintainers that a feature freeze is
> coming up. Ok, Richard and SCG guys would miss that then because their
> parts of the Squeak cake isn't registered... ;-)

Ah, well, that's different. If and when we start doing that sort of
thing within the image we'll definitely need a place for this
information. SqueakMap might well be it. But lets not go cluttering up
SqueakMap with non-packages on the theory that they may be useful
someday.

> Btw, Colin - have you done any good snowboarding in Whistler then? I
> just had my yearly dose without breaking anything. :-)

Excellent. I find that always makes the experience more pleasant.

For a while I was getting in about 3 days a week, although I probably
did more days telemarking than snowboarding. It's been a fairly dry
winter, so powder days are scarce and I'm mostly focussing on getting
my telemark technique up to snuff.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin Putney