ClassBuilder fix, SqueakMap, and releasing 3.4

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Mar 7 09:23:29 UTC 2003

Hi Colin and all!

Colin Putney <cputney at whistler.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 12:40  PM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
> wrote:
> >> Now, I love SqueakMap as much as the next guy. But let's not go
> >> overboard here. SM is a catalog for packages that are not in the
> >> image.
> >
> > Eh, well - if that is your definition then you are already "wrong" in
> > one sense - there are currently packages in SM that still *are* in the
> > image. You know - waiting to get removed from the image. ;-)
>
> Ah, but those packages typically depend on another package that removes
> what's in the current image. So it's just an artifact of SM current
> lack of dependencies. ;-)

Well, so? :-) I am still maintaining that there *are* packages in SM
that you can't just install.
But that isn't an important point.

> > Another example would be if Richard O'Keefe took upon himself to
> > maintain/steward the Collection hierarchy (just theoretically).
> > Obviously the Collections are hard to break out - some of them even
> > impossible. So does that mean it could never be registered on SM? I
> > mean
> > - it is a well defined piece of Squeak, it has a description, a name, a
> > maintainer/steward, it could have a version, a development status, etc.
> > The only thing missing is a download URL.
>
> Yeah, but all that stuff is peripheral. Downloading and installing
> packages is what SM does, after all. What good is it without a download
> url?

Plenty good. I can still browse, find it, look at the description, see
the maintainer, version etc.

Currently SM doesn't have free text search, but as soon as we add that
then it will hopfully be even more interesting.

> > And what about later when we start using the map for other tasks? For
> > example, bugs that get reported needs to be forwarded to the correct
> > maintainer - but how do I then report a bug in the Collection classes?
> > can come up with tons of these use cases. For example, to be able to
> > send out a message to all core maintainers that a feature freeze is
> > coming up. Ok, Richard and SCG guys would miss that then because their
> > parts of the Squeak cake isn't registered... ;-)
>
> Ah, well, that's different. If and when we start doing that sort of
> thing within the image we'll definitely need a place for this
> information. SqueakMap might well be it. But lets not go cluttering up
> SqueakMap with non-packages on the theory that they may be useful
> someday.

Well, as I said earlier - this is not a big thing. I assume that later
when SM evolves a bit, it will be much clearer that there are more
things to keep track of than SAR files.

I am thinking about any "Squeak related artifact". VM, image, package,
configuration, person and even resource as in a website or a service on
the net.

But sure, currently we have mainly installable or downloadable "things".

> > Btw, Colin - have you done any good snowboarding in Whistler then? I
> > just had my yearly dose without breaking anything. :-)
>
> Excellent. I find that always makes the experience more pleasant.
>
> For a while I was getting in about 3 days a week, although I probably

3 days a week? Damn. I just get maximum a week per year. So no 360s for
me, but I am at least pretty smooth. :-)

> did more days telemarking than snowboarding. It's been a fairly dry
> winter, so powder days are scarce and I'm mostly focussing on getting
> my telemark technique up to snuff.

Sounds great Colin, I envy you! Badminton will have to do for me to keep
in some kindof shape.

Regarding the above - we will just see what happens. :-)

> Cheers,
>
> Colin
>
> Colin Putney
> Whistler.com