[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 14:45:32 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se writes
 > I am just tired of redundant swiki pages forgotten by the author that
 > aren't up to date. And I also don't like to have the "reference manual"
 > of Squeak in a Swiki - I want that *inside Squeak*. You know - the
 > classic problem of keeping two different places in synch. Why would
 > someone remember to edit this page when a class is added or removed?

I'm not sure if up to date documentation is a technical problem. If
people use the documentation then they will try to keep it up to
date. Especially if the documentation is a useful reference for the
experts. Producing useful documentation is definitely a hard problem.

After messing around down in the VM, I've valued the redundant out of
date documentation. It provided enough guidance that I could figure
out the details from source and messing around. Some area's just don't
have enough people working in them to keep documentation up to date.
Also previous dead projects are interesting to know about when
starting something new. If obsolete pages were not tagged as
documentation that might be enough. It would be a shame to loose the
conversational wiki style of writing.

Swiki documents are readable by Squeak so once the documentation team
have a useful manual then it should be easy to automatically import it
into the image. Personally, I like reading books on the train where a
computer isn't available. There are two problems: having a good
process to produce the documentation and packaging the documentation.

Thank you documentation team for all your efforts producing useful
documentation. I'm sure you will find good solutions to package your
your work when the time is right.

Bryce