[DOCS] Swiki as a reference manual?

Douglas Brebner squeaklists at fang.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 18:25:52 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:33:33 +0100
"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
[snip]
> Since we use Swikis for this purpose already we have a pretty good
> feel how "outsider documentation" (by which I mean: documentation
> which hasn't been written by the original author) and to me, what's
> there is certainly better than what's in the image right now. So why
> not just go for the whole cake?! Simply declare the class comments to
> _be_ swiki pages (cached locally if you want to) and allow everyone to
> change them at will. You can still have all of the Swiki mechanisms
> (like locking pages etc) if you need to.

This will fail badly on machines without internet connections unless
you somehow have them cache the whole lot in advance.

A possibly better idea would be a tool which regularly generated
SqueakMap documentation packages from the appropriate swiki pages and
kept them synchronised.

That way, people could just get the latest comment packages instead of
needing a full time connection.

Now that I think about it, anyone have any ideas how well SM packages
wrapped around suitably formatted swiki pages would work for general
documentation purposes?

--
Douglas