[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Mar 7 18:45:34 UTC 2003

Hi Cees and all!

(Did I accidentally drop the SqF list? Whatever, maybe good. These
crossposts are probably - as Daniel said - mainly confusing. Lets keep
*this* thread on squeak-dev)

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 17:24, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > 1. Kernel. (True, False, Array etc)
> > 2. Core. (DisplayScanner, FontSet etc)
> > 3. Base (Browser, Workspace, Debugger etc)
> Bad examples - 'core' being a barebones dev env, browser, workspace and
> debugger will land there.=20

Oh, sorry - I ended up "one step" wrong there. I agree that those are in
Core.

> > 4. Stewarded packages not in base
> These will land in 'base'. Of course, to the extent that we define
> Stewardship as something official and, for example, differentiate
> between a Steward and some dumbwhit who declares himself a Steward of
> HttpView...

Good - then we agree. I got confused because you wrote, and let me
quote:
> > Would "base" also be the boundary of everything maintained by stewards?
> > I mean - does base define what we call "Squeak"? Does it include all of
> > the stuff that we - as a community - considers to be "ours"?
>
> That's probably too much. As I said - lots of room for discussion here,
> especially at this level.

I interpreted this as - yes, there can be stewarded packages outside of
base.
So, I appended a little silly .project showing this model - allowed
dependencies are downward.
So Extra can depend on Base/Core/Kernel, Base on Core/Kernel, Core only
on Kernel.

Correctimundo?

I was trying to fit in VMs, plugins, unofficial kernels etc. but...
Well! :-) Feel free to make this .pr a bit more telling, add some
arrows, text - whatever.

> > Actually, I have heard of Troves and seen it in several of these "tools"
> > around the net but I honestly don't know what they really are (except
> > for some kind of graph representation, right?). If you have a good link
> > I can check.
>
> I haven't checked out the theory behind it; I just noted that both
> Freshmeat and SourceForge use it, and it seems to be a simple and
> flexible categorization system. I think Eric Raymond came up with it,
> dunnow whether that is good ;-), but it helps in searching for more
> info: http://catb.org/~esr/trove/

Thanks, Göran