[DOCS] Swiki as a reference manual?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 7 20:57:59 UTC 2003

Douglas,

> This will fail badly on machines without internet connections unless
> you somehow have them cache the whole lot in advance.

Oh, please. If you read my message you will see that I've taken this into
account already. To quote:

> E.g., write the class comment, accept, say "publish comment"
                                 ^^^^^^

That means you _first_ accept at which point the "normal thing happens"
(namely that the comment is present "cached" in the image) and then you
publish. The same thing could be done when you "update" the documentation.
Nothing will fail badly. It just works. If you're not online the only thing
you can't do is to update your documentation or browse any of the links in
it.

> A possibly better idea would be a tool which regularly generated
> SqueakMap documentation packages from the appropriate swiki pages and
> kept them synchronised.

This does not address _any_ of the current problems - neither that of the
turnaround times (you would still have to make a CS, post it, review it,
repackage it, etc. etc. etc.) nor would it allow people to edit those
comments "wiki-style" (e.g., in a web-browser). The latter _is_ important if
you're already working in the context of a web browser outside Squeak (and
Scamper really doesn't do it for me) in which case you may want to add a
link or some note or whatever to the comment.

> That way, people could just get the latest comment packages instead of
> needing a full time connection.

Like I said, people would _not_ need a full time connection. And using
"generated documentation" is questionable at best - if you read JavaDoc
stuff how much does it really tell you?! It's out of context, no references
to any discussions, examples, tutorials, whatsoever. Swikis can provide all
this and the only thing that remains to be done is to link up the freakin'
code with this documentation and integrate it into the workflow!

Cheers,
  - Andreas