[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Mar 8 04:42:59 UTC 2003

This proposal for "package groups" sounds pretty good to me.

"Kernel" is a well-understood term that seems like the best name for
what it is: The smallest amount of Squeak code which can bootstrap
itself into something larger.

The "base" level maps nicely to the "base image" term which Squeakers
love to use.  I think it's been assumed that we would need this level
of package group, and I like the term "base" for this.

"Core" is really the only new concept that Cees is introducing here.  I
wasn't sure if it was necessary at first, but I like it more after
thinking about it.  Roughly, it's the stuff which makes up an IDE.  To
be more specific, we could sometime use the term "core developer
packages" to refer to this pacakge group.

Anyway, it's definitely good to finally get some terms nailed down.
I'm getting tired of people using the term "base" when they really mean
"kernel", and then being misinterpreted by someone else, etc. :-)

- Doug Way

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 01:45 PM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> Hi Cees and all!
>
> (Did I accidentally drop the SqF list? Whatever, maybe good. These
> crossposts are probably - as Daniel said - mainly confusing. Lets keep
> *this* thread on squeak-dev)
>
> Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 17:24, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Kernel. (True, False, Array etc)
>>> 2. Core. (DisplayScanner, FontSet etc)