Better names than core and base (was Re: Proposal to get to the triad)

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Sat Mar 8 22:50:56 UTC 2003

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:

> Just thinking a bit of a gentle way to get to the kernel,core,base triad
> of images (it seems that there is general acceptance of the idea).

> What we distribute now is called 'base'. I think that we have to do a
> sweep down to 'kernel' first by stripping before we can think about
> building up by adding. Here's a proposal:
> - We release a duplicate of 'base' and call it 'core' ASAP. We apply

I'm reasonably happy with the trio of concepts now called kernel, base,
and core and with Cee's ideas about how to split the image into those
things.

However, I'd like to suggest an idea with regard to the /names/ of those
concepts.  Although I don't know what to suggest as improvements, I feel
there must be better names.  I hope we can find them now, before we are
stuck forever with kernel, base, core.

1. It isn't obvious whether a 'base' is more primary than a 'core' or
vice versa.

2. 'Base' and 'core' mix metaphors.  Kernel to core could be thought of
as widening concentric circles (or concentric cylinders or spheres) --
so 'core' implies a circular metaphor.  On the other hand, kernel to
base is a stratification metaphor, implying layers atop lower layers.
Because of this, it is not obvious from the names whether the
progression should be <kernel to base to core> or <kernel to core to
base>.  It would be better to change the names of core and base to
adhere to a common metaphor and to indicate a clear priority.  (I think
Hannes made a good point that 'core IDE' was better than 'core', but I
think we can do even better than that.)

Kernel is a good name; it is only base and core that need changing.

(Kernel, core, magma, mantle) -- a circular/spherical metaphor
(Kernel, crushed limestone base, asphalt finish) -- a stratification
metaphor

I hope someone can suggest some excellent names.

Yours sporadically,

-- Frank