[Squeakfoundation]Stewards and Squeak Packages

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 10 09:45:48 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 14:38, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > I suppose that the kernel modules in a Linux distribution are a good
> > analogy, so Debian may provide some guidance here too.
>
> Yup. For general information: Debian distributes the basic Linux kernel,
> which comes with a (too large) set of 'standard' plugins (kernel
> modules), and on top of that separate plugins (like the ALSA sound
> drivers) are distributed as normal Debian packages.
>
> A number of plugins might well land in the standard kernel; it's
> probably best, for the time being, to keep the others in 'base', because
> they typically address functionality on that level directly
> supported/used by applications in 'base'. When we learn more about
> categorization (maybe a system similar to the SourceForge/Freshmet
> 'trove' setup) we can always refine.

Yes, I agree - in another thread I asked Andreas to come up with a
concrete suggestion, and here I do the same - what categories would you
like? I need names and oneline descriptions, and if you want to be
really nice to me - a minnow page describing each category in more
detail. This is because a URL is associated with each category.

Btw, we do have "Package type" already:
http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/category/554db944-33da-493b-a1bb-1ff
b8e80ba2b

...are we talking about one or more subcats to that one perhaps?

(hey, I just noticed a silly bug - I can't paste with CAPS-LOCK on -
he!)

Btw, Cees - I haven't had the time to check out trove in detail yet -
but what are the features/differences in trove that you would like to
have?

regards, Göran