bye...

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Mon Mar 10 16:30:38 UTC 2003

> From: Daniel Joyce [mailto:daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net]
> 	You want strong typing? Look at the problems it causes
> JAVA wrt to
> Collection classes, and the LOVELY solution that JAVA came up
> with for
> 1.5.
>
> 	I'm starting to think that all strongly typed OOP
> languages eventually
> end up looking like C++, as more 'features' ( hacks ) are
> used to work
> around the 'benefits' (bugs) of static typing....
>
> 	"Strong Typing" is good...
> 	"garbage collection" is slow... ( compared to tracking
> down memory
> leaks? )
>
> 	These dead horses get beatten alot.

I suggest that we not confuse "strong typing" with "static typing".
Smalltalk is not statically typed, but it is strongly typed.  Java and C++
(to the best of my knowledge) are both strongly and statically typed.

In my opinion

	"Strong typing" is good,
	"Static typing" is bad,
	"Garbage collection" is good

for the types of work I usually do.  Your mileage may vary.

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company