[Q] ImageSegments as a persistence mechanism (was Re: Proposal to get to the triad)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Mar 11 11:02:38 UTC 2003

Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hi Goran
>
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> >
> > True but ImageSegments are damn nice. They are very fast, very reliable
> > and well, simply great. I use them as a trememendously simple way of
> > persisting an object. In my app the HomepageBuilder the code for
> > persistence is like 20 lines. Period. Its "poor man's" OODB.
> Would it be possible to post this code?

Of course, it has already been posted. :-)

I actually did that back in january 2002. So I just did a bit of
searching for you, to begin with here is what I did post back then on
the Swiki (I just searched the Swiki for "ImageSegment):
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2429

And here is more describing them:
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2316

Here is a reply at the time from Dan answering your question in part:
	http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeakfoundation/2002-Janua
ry/000373.html

Anyway, you can find more about this in the archives, just search for
"ImageSegment" etc. I did search for the original post when they were
introduced (somewhere around 12/8/1999 I guess) but couldn't find an
archive that went that long back. Ahrg, I hope we aren't loosing old
stuff...

Anyway, you should of course also read this:
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/squeakbook/uploads/formatted-btf-once-mo
re.pdf

(search for ImageSegment to get to the juicy part describing them)

Anyway, they work like a charm and are FAST and they are the basis of
Projects (.pr files) but they **can** be used for anything and that was
what my little howto showed. I use them as I said quite a lot.

regards, Göran