A sort-of status report, and a newbie cry for help.

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Mar 12 20:29:06 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 11:59 am, Andrew Berg wrote:
> No error message or anything, just I don't see any shiny
> new classes to look at and poke around.  When I repeat this
> experiment with the Linux computer I have at work, it seems to work
> fine.
>
> Any suggestions?

Is there something odd about your network environment on the XP
machine? I believe that Andreas said something about fixing a problem
(in the latest Windows VM, which was bundled by Bruce yesterday) with
slowness. Oh yeah, here it is:

> * A workaround for the case that the default printer is a network
printer and inaccessible upon startup. This could lead to _very_ long
pauses when  starting Squeak.

If that describes your system, you might want to get the new VM:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5506&release_id=145040

> Oh, and my newbie cry for help:  I want to build a simplish UI onto
> some classes that I've built.  From my lurking on this list for the
> last few months (man, that is a lot of reading!) it appears that
> MorphicWrappers is the thing to use.  However, I seem to be
> suffering from a lack of creativity or something, because it is not
> clear from the classes that were installed (on the Linux box at
> work, nothing on my laptop but the downloaded file) how to go about
> using it.  Can someone point me toward a project I could install
> that uses MorphicWrappers, or better some little supply of sample
> code?

MorphicWrappers is not a solution for building a simple UI, as far as
I can tell.

Prefab and BobsUI do seem to be, though, and BobsUI seems to use
MorphicWrappers internally.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com