Uninstalling Packages

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Mar 13 09:08:06 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> I want to play with ComancheNG.
> Stephen mentioned needing to uninstall or not have Comanche installed
> for ComancheNG to work.
>
> I have Comanche installed in my current image and would like to
> uninstall it. Is that currently possible? Or do I need to open up a new
> image to work with?

Currently it is not possible to uninstall packages *in general*.

Comanche in particular may of course be simple to purge - Look in its
changeset and see what it contains. It is probably just a bunch of
classes and a heap of added loose methods. Just be careful to check if
some of them are in fact *modified* methods.

In the future *uninstall* may turn out possible for DVS packages - I
know Avi has thought about it at least once.

regards, Göran

PS. To tell your map that you have uninstalled a particular package you
would need to... hey, wait a minute - oops. There is no protocol for
that. ;-) How embarassing. You will just need to add a method for that -
SMSquakMap simply has a Dictionary called installedPackages to keep
track of them. You need to clear out the proper key in there. You could
do it by hand of course using an inspector/explorer on "SMSqueakMap
default". And... to make it proper the method that does this should
"record" it in the changes file but whatever - you don't need to care
about that I think. That is just to ensure that "recovered" images have
a proper chance of having the correct "notion" of what packages are
installed.