Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 14 07:05:51 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 03:09, Frank Sergeant wrote:
> Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but bravo to you and the ISP and
> your country.  (I believe your country was also a haven for Descartes.)

I believe in the validity of nation states and patriotism as much as the
validity of 'intellectual property', but you're right, there has been a
(relative) liberty of expression here for quite a number of centuries.
Some say that if the Netherlands didn't provide shelter for Descartes
(and Spinoza and others), there wouldn't have been anyone around to
inspire the US Constitution...