File locking primitives?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 14 15:02:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 15:57, Cees de Groot wrote:
> Is there a way to get to the underlying file handle from a fileID? I've
> looked through the plugin code, but I still think I'm missing something
> (ie where are all the sqWriteFile, ... defined?)

Sorry, didn't look hard enough - my searches left out the platform tree.

Err, am I right in concluding that all file I/O goes through the
(notoriously slow) C stdio library? Ouch. That'll kill most database
efforts ;-). And it's probably a bit hard to go from a FILE * to a unix
file handle inside Squeak :-(

Is FFI any fast? I'd like to re-route all OmniBase I/O calls (open,
close, lseek, read, write) to the Unix system calls to see whether it
makes a large enough difference to bother, but if FFI is slow that won't
help.