Someone Do Something Please!

William Cole jumpstart at csi.com
Fri Mar 14 15:14:39 UTC 2003

Greetings;

Agreed that the vast majority of code is *not* owned by Apple.  But not
having an in-force license specifying terms of use of non-Apple code is a
liability in itself.  Without a license covering new submissions, the
entire code base is exposed to downstream IP claims by contributors.  (Bill
Gates funded the start of Microsoft playing this game.)

The bottom line is that there is no "Squeak" license per se.  The only
thing Squeak has is a license that covers Apple's contribution to the code
base.

Consider this; a court might look at the lack of a competing license to
Apple's license, and determine since no action was made to protect
downstream submissions, all code could be (by default) property of
Apple.  (In other words, one must have a competing license to even be
granted a hearing in court.)

Would the responsible parties in Sq C please move on this?

Regards;

Bill Cole