Someone Do Something Please!

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 14 16:25:41 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 16:14, William Cole wrote:
> The bottom line is that there is no "Squeak" license per se.  The only
> thing Squeak has is a license that covers Apple's contribution to the code
> base.

Proposal (something I've been playing around with for longer): here in
the Netherlands, it is quite easy to setup a foundation. You need around
500 euros. Given the situation around 'IP' in the USA, I think that .NL
is a good 'shelter' for 'IP' at the time.

I setup that foundation with a board of three members: me and two others
in .NL/.DE that can physically meet for the required annual board
meetings. Goal of the foundation is mostly the goal stated on the SqF
wiki. Then, we have a strongly protected legal entity that people can
sign over to. Of course, whether people will actually do that depends on
the amount of trust they put into the foundation (I'm willing to
elaborate on what a Dutch Foundation exactly entails if there is
interest).

At the same time, we setup all the boilerplate paperwork (err, letting
ourselves be 'inspired' by the FSF paperwork ;-)) so that authors can
sign over. I suggest that we pick a single license for the kernel and
coder levels, and a number of alternative licenses for the carnival
level.

I'm willing to take the lead, provided that:
- we find some way to get the required money together (around 500 euros
- I can chat with the local notary public to see whether he can arrange
a special price for me but it won't be much lower);
- we find two other board members in the geographical vincinity to form
a board that the community will trust enough for safekeeping of the
community 'commons', our collective 'IP'.