Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 14 16:30:16 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:19, Alan Kay wrote:
> Try a different POV and you'll feel better.

Please help me. Here I am, a businessman (ok, hypothetical situation
;-)), that wants to invest a lot of time and money (hypothetical, still)
into developing stuff on Squeak.

It's a very reasonable POV that Squeak's legal status is largely
unclear. I'm more than happy with that as a user, as a hacker, and as a
wannabe teacher. I'm less than happy with that as a business guy
(especially one with external shareholders - and that's not hypothetical
in my case - where you have a fiduciary responsibility to them to make
sure that things like these are taken fare of).

So, please help me with my 'businessman blindness' and tell me how I can
reconcile Squeak's legal status with building a company on it (or even
applying it to anything mission-critical).