Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Mar 14 16:33:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:18, Alan Kay wrote:
> Now you are closer to my sentiments ...

Hey, there's a wide gap in what I think as a private person and how I
act as a business guy. When wearing the latter hat, statements I
completely support otherwise like:

> I do think that the concept of IP (for software at least -- any many
> other areas as well) has completely broken down.

simply are useless information. A business is firmly entrenched in a
legal system, and the risk that the Mouse will knock on my door with a
demand for gobs of money for the privilege to use Squeak, or whatever,
is real. Whatever I think of it, it's reality.

> For people who want to be in business and make
> money with SW, I think the best routes have to do with selling
> various kinds of services around the SW (from documentation to
> talking about it to handholding and upwards).

I absolutely agree.