Freeing Squeak (license-wise)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 14 16:49:51 UTC 2003

Well, suppose you were doing your stuff in Java and Sun went belly
up? Suppose you were using OpenGL and Microsoft (which recently
bought the Silicon Graphics patents, etc.,) decides to stop use of
OpenGL and try to just get 3Ders to care about the MS hooks to 3D on
their platforms? What if the actual entanglements with Linus' kernel
and GPL and other stuff actually got interpreted in a slightly
different light regarding what gets polluted and what doesn't (i.e.
along the lines that MS is advocating). There are zillions of
potential pitfalls from vendors just waiting for businessfolks.
However, ....

It seems to me that opensource even in a litigious era that has no
really good foundational precedents for law and language that is
clear about IP, is still the best way to go. One of the things the US
learned (to a limited extent admittedly) from the prohibition of
alcohol era in the 20s is that it is a classic blunder to make a law
that can't be enforced and most people are willing to break.

Cheers,

Alan