release scope names (was "Kernel/Coder/Carnival")

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Sun Mar 16 08:27:11 UTC 2003

Hi--

	I strongly dislike "carnival"; I think the association with clowns (at
least amongst USA readers) is too strong, and would induce ridicule a
bit too readily.

	I like how "coder" gives some idea of the intended audience, but I
don't like the word itself. I've never liked using the word "code" to
describe the stuff we write. It implies something cryptic and not
readily understandable, when I'd rather imply something accessible and
more intuitable. (I usually use the word "source", which is relatively
neutral as to intuitability, and has the useful reference to the
compilation process.)

	It'd be nice if every label referred to the intended audience. After
all, that seems to be the main purpose of these names. :)  Also, I don't
see the "kernel" name as strictly necessary.

	So, I'd rather see something like "mechanic, writer, audience", perhaps
in the context of a cinematic theme. (That particular trio has at a few
interesting hooks; e.g., scripts and scripting, "virtual mechanic", a la
"virtual machine", and "audience participation", which we're trying to
encourage. :)

	thanks,

-C

--