release scope names (was "Kernel/Coder/Carnival")

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Sun Mar 16 23:51:30 UTC 2003

I've tried to stay out, but what the heck.

core/coder/carnival don't really help; the assonance is no more than
'cuteness'.  Let's go for helpfulness.

mechanic/writer/audience are even worse.  Amongst other things, if you
are writing for an audience, don't you need the stuff your audience will
have so that you know what they'll see?  So shouldn't the "writer"
version have MORE than the "audience" version?  And when I hear "mechanic"
I think of car mechanics, of Tik-Tok, and of Shakespeare's "rude mechanicals".

Why the heck don't we just call them the "Small", "Medium", and "Large"
versions?  Small/Medium/Large at least say plainly _something_ salient
about the versions.  Or "Minimal", "Reduced", and "Normal" suggesting
(correctly) that you probably want to go for the "Normal" release unless
you have some special reason for wanting a smaller one.

Please, let's go for simple common words that will be hard to misundertand.