Moving ahead (was re: release scope names (was "Kernel/Coder/Carnival"))

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Mon Mar 17 14:39:23 UTC 2003

Doug Way wrote:
[snip]
> I agree that this sort of pipeline is worth considering.  We wouldn't
> necessarily need to adopt all of the various aspects of Debian.  For
> example, we could just continue to use Squeak version numbers (e.g. 3.6,
> 4.0) instead of names like "Woody", etc.  I'm actually not sure about
> how Debian 3.0 corresponds to "Woody"/"Sid"/etc... is "Woody" simply an
> early codename for 3.0?  Or does Debian 3.0 represent a snapshot of the
> pipeline in its various stages?
[snip]

Debian names have come from characters in the movie Toy Story because
(from my understanding) a few of the original developers and founders
were employees of Pixar.

Unstable is the alpha, bleeding edge version. Always in development
incorporating the most recent software. It is named Sid due to the
character named Sid in the movie. I don't remember but Sid must have
been an unstable character. Unstable never changes names, it is always
Sid, because Sid is always unstable. :)

Testing is the staging or development ground for Stable. Software after
it has been in Sid (unstable) for I believe 10 days without any
requirements of bug fixes or changes gets moved into Testing. My
understanding of the requirements may be slightly off, but the principle
is the same.
The name for Testing changes when it gets frozen and becomes solid
enough to be declared Stable.

Stable is what it sounds like. It is the current non-development
release. Stable is generally very frozen and has periodic update release
for security and bugfixes. Sometimes people will port updated or more
current software to Debian Stable, but it is not a part of the official
release. ie: like KDE 3.x...

Hope this helps non-Debian users.

Jimmie Houchin