release scope names (was "Kernel/Coder/Carnival")

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Mon Mar 17 14:49:37 UTC 2003

Jon Hylands wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:51:30 +1200 (NZST), "Richard A. O'Keefe"
> <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>>Or "Minimal", "Reduced", and "Normal" suggesting
>>(correctly) that you probably want to go for the "Normal" release unless
>>you have some special reason for wanting a smaller one.
>
> Yeah, I like this suggestion best. Maybe Minimal, Basic, and Normal. Basic
> gives more information than Reduced (Reduced compared to what?)
>
> Basic is the smallest image you can do reasonable development on. Normal
> is, as Richard says, what most people want. Minimal is the smallest
> (headless) image you can easily bootstrap from.

I like minimal, basic, normal.
It conveys an understanding without getting too deep into a defined term
which means different things to different people like in some of the
other conversations.

They are basic enough of terms that we can provide the meaning in the
context of Squeak without confusion.

JMO.

Jimmie Houchin