Parallel release streams - Debian and Squeak scheme

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Mar 17 14:47:54 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> Doug Way wrote:
> [snip]
> > I agree that this sort of pipeline is worth considering.  We wouldn't
> > necessarily need to adopt all of the various aspects of Debian.  For
> > example, we could just continue to use Squeak version numbers (e.g. 3.6,
> > 4.0) instead of names like "Woody", etc.  I'm actually not sure about
> > how Debian 3.0 corresponds to "Woody"/"Sid"/etc... is "Woody" simply an
> > early codename for 3.0?  Or does Debian 3.0 represent a snapshot of the
> > pipeline in its various stages?
> [snip]

[snip]

> Unstable is the alpha, bleeding edge version. Always in development
> incorporating the most recent software. It is named Sid due to the
> character named Sid in the movie. I don't remember but Sid must have
> been an unstable character. Unstable never changes names, it is always
> Sid, because Sid is always unstable. :)
>
> Testing is the staging or development ground for Stable.
[snip]

> Stable is what it sounds like. It is the current non-development
> release. Stable is generally very frozen and has periodic update release
> for security and bugfixes. Sometimes people will port updated or more
> current software to Debian Stable, but it is not a part of the official
> release. ie: like KDE 3.x...
>
> Hope this helps non-Debian users.
>
> Jimmie Houchin

So it seems that this roughly corresponds to our schema of
alpha-beta-gamma but with releases overlapping and that we have four
stages instead of three

a = alpha
b = beta
g = gamma
f = final

version
----> time
3.5      aaaaa bbbbb ggggg | fffff  .......
3.6              aaaaa bbbbb | ggggg fffff .....
stable
3.7                      aaaaa | bbbbb ggggg fffff ..........
testing
3.8                              | aaaaa bbbbb ggggg .........
 unstable

                                 at a given point of time there are
in parallel three (or four) release streams: unstable, testing, stable.

Am I missing something?

Regards
Hannes